Where IEC 61499 has its advantages
IEC 61499 is the successor of the IEC 61131 standard. It provides the basis for modern automation. IEC 61499-based control technology can be used to programme complete plant and equipment, even with several controllers in a distributed control system. Distributed intelligence is thereby enabled. An essential prerequisite for future trends like Industry 4.0, Internet-of-Things, Smart Grids.
IEC 61499 uses the same programming languages as IEC 61131, but it provides many more solution possibilities. A main paradigm of IEC 61499 is the event-driven execution model, which enables the distribution of control logic (at nxtControl the communication paths are built automatically). Moreover integration into IT-Systems is much easier as both worlds are then event-driven.
- Event-driven program execution
- Programming of complete systems
- Real-time enabled
- Programs created with other IEC 61499 engineering tools can be processed without import/export
- Control logic can be distributed to several controllers. Communication between controllers is defined
- Libraries of different vendors can be used by any IEC 61499 compliant engineering tool